- To ensure that the management and development of Sabah's forest reserves are in accordance with the principles of Sustainable Forest Management;
- To optimise the utilisation of forest resources in order to sustain socio-economic benefits to the State;
- To ensure that the development of forest industry corresponds with the long term productive capacity of the state's resources;
- To ensure sufficient trained manpower and expertise to implement Sustainable Forest Management efficiently and professionally;
- To intensify the R&D programmes and efforts toward the development and implementation of Sustainable Forest Management;
- To conserve sufficient natural forest areas for the protection and maintenance of the environment, water resources, soils and biodiversity.
- To enhance enforcement strategies to safeguard the forest resources.
- To increase public awareness on the importance of forests and Sustainable Forest Management.
- To ensure that sufficient financial resources, technology, and logistical supports are available for the implementation of sustainable Forest Management.
- To promote the rehabilitation of natural forests and the establishment of forest plantations.