The objectives of the independent auditing are:
- To ensure continuous compliance of SFMLA/LTL holders with the terms and conditions of Sustainable Forest Management Licence Agreement (SFMLA) or Long Term Licence Agreement as well as legal compliance with Malaysian laws and in confirmation with the EU-FLEGT of TLAS requirement;
- To improve the performance of the SFMLA/LTL holders with systematic monitoring on the ground;
- To upgrade the skills and capacity of the Sabah Forestry Department’s Officers in carrying out auditing works;
- To instill transparency and professionalism of forest managers.
- To evaluate the corrective action taken by the SFMLA/LTL holders to address non-conformance issues raised in the previous audit.